Asbestos Awareness Training
This training session about asbestos awareness. It is designed for employees who may contact or work near asbestos containing material (known as ACM), asbestos-containing building material (known as ACBM), or presumed asbestos-containing material (known as PACM), but do not disturb it as part of their normal work activities.
Duration: 26 Minutes
Why "Asbestos Awareness Training" Matters
- Asbestos was used in many building materials that were installed before 1981.
- The airborne asbestos fibers that can cause health damage are often too small to see with the naked eye.
- Asbestosis results in a loss of lung-function which progresses to disability and death. Virtually all cases of mesothelioma are linked to asbestos exposure. There is no cure for asbestos-related illnesses.
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor, an estimated
1.3 million workers face significant asbestos exposure on the job.
- Removing asbestos materials may create a hazard where none previously existed. It is important to be properly trained and aware of how to properly treat asbestos, and what to do in case of harmful exposure.
- Friable or damaged ACM or PACM should always be considered a health hazard.
- Non-friable or intact ACM does not discharge asbestos fibers to the atmosphere and is therefore not considered a health hazard.
- Use wet methods to stop any further contamination of the air.
- Do not handle or disturb asbestos-containing or presumed asbestos-containing materials.
- If you must disturb asbestos (for example, to repair a light), see your supervisor before starting work.
A Complete Training Solution
In addition to this training course content, with TrainingToday you get a complete course, and our entire training solution that includes administrator tools, reports, and analysis.
Get more information about TrainingToday »